StormPlayer (latest version 0.9.1)
StormPlayer is a media player for the Cybiko handheld computer. It can play/display the
following file types:
|Bitmap (.bmp) :
||Uncompressed 24bit,16 colour and mono. 24bit and 16 colour are dithered to give a better image. Maximum resolution of 320x200.
|Cybiko Pic (.pic) :
||The standard cybiko picture format.
|Cybiko XPic (.xpic) :
||The cybiko photo picture format. Picture are converted from 16 colour to 4 colour.
|Flick animations (.fli/.flc):
||Most frame types are supported.
|Avi Files (.avi):
||These must have a maximum resolution of 160x100 and be compressed in Microsoft Video 1 (msvc).
|Html pages (.htm/.html):
||Stormplayer supports most of the basic formatting as well as links and images, tables however are not supported. Also pages should not be longer than three screens.
|Text documents (.txt/.asc):
||Standard text documents. The text reader is not too great at the moment so you could be better off using the standard
||Stormplayer can play VideoNow clips that have been created using Greg Smiths VideoThen java program. VideoThen can be found on sourceforge.
|cvc / cvi :
||These are two custom formats, one for video and one for images. See the readme file for more details. In case
anyone is wondering, cvc=cybiko video container cvi=cybiko video image (both formats use the same compression).
|Spectrum (.scr) :
||This is the Spectrum computers native image format. This format is probably of no use to anyone but was
added for completeness!
|Book (.book/.txt/.asc) :
||Any text or cybiko book file can be read. This works like Run Reader.
This release also contains the latest version of the Avi2Cvc converter program. With it you can convert specially formatted
avi files into cybiko video clips! Instructions are included.
Download StormPlayer 0.9.1 (76k)
[21/09/08] (Source included!)
New! Download CVC video clips from here
Changes from 0.9.0
- QAOP can be used instead of the arrow keys
- Minor potential bugs fixed
- Improved snaphot function (pasted from tower.app)
Changes from 0.8.7
- Used conditional compiling to remove most of the traces from the standard version.
- Introduced virtual memory style paging. Memory blocks moved to 'storm.dmp' when not currently needed.
- More dynamic memory allocation. Only allocating what's needed.
- Snapshot feature will now take a snapshot of almost anything displayed (inc. menus..)
- Reduced memory needed for cvc subtitle, may be a little quicker too.
- Introduced huffman based frame type to cvi + cvc, slow but better compression. (Added to tools)
- Fixed bug in 1bit bitmap viewer where width <160
- Games and App menu options, run programs from within StormPlayer!
- Lots of minor and pieces bits fixed or improved.
Changes from 0.8.6
- Image scrolling fixed + optimised so should be a little faster.
- Minor speedup to cvi decoding.
- Minor speedup and changes to display list.
- Reverted back to the slower less memory hungry file searching method.
- Reduced avi memory usage, also better handling for large frames.
- Removed support for Uncompressed AVIs (too slow to be useful)
- Reduced bmp memory usage/allocation by a lot.
- Removed 'Browser+' option (seemed pointless really).
- Minor changes to dither routine.
- Fixed a fault in the dithering routine.
- Seperated 1bit decoding from the bitmap function to remove repeated code (used in html+bmp viewer).
- Compacted the spectrum viewer and reduced memory usage.
- Added .book support. Text files can also be read, run reader style.
- Improved the html viewers drive handling.
Changes from 0.8.5
- Added more TRACEs to help track bugs.
- Loading screens to indicate searching for files.
- Much improved image zoom. Also uses much less memory.
- Xpic image support.
- Minor fixes to html viewer.
Changes from 0.8.4
- The left and right keys act as select/exit on the menus.
- The problem with file case sensitivity is fixed.
- Scanning the drives for files should be faster for some file types.
- Spectrum image support.
Still to come in StormPlayer
The following are features that may appear in newer versions of StormPlayer:
- Audio support.
- Improved text viewing (i.e. a working text viewer)
- An icon and maybe a logo!
- A native version which uses the CybornOS system.
- Compressed folder support (should be in 0.9 maybe earlier)
- Other great features......